The human resources department plays a vital role in the success of any organization. HR professionals must recruit, hire, and retain a company’s greatest asset – its employees. HR managers wear many hats within the organization – benefits administrator, corporate morale booster, strategic adviser, to name a few. But at the heart of every function an HR manager must perform is communication; the ability to communicate effectively on a one-to-one and one-to-many basis.
Video Conferencing Expedites Human Resources Functions
Video conferencing solutions provide companies a competitive advantage by facilitating face-to-face communication among remote parties. Human resources departments are now using this powerful technology to expedite many aspects of the department’s functions:
- Hiring – Visual communication reduces the time it takes to hire personnel by allowing the discussion and sharing of information in real time instead of relying on e-mail or voice-only conferences.
- Interviewing – Video provides visual cues that provide valuable information about candidates during the qualification process.
- Recruiting – Instead of being limited to local job candidates, video extends the reach of the interviewing process, making the geographical pool of candidates almost limitless.
- Cost reduction – Candidates can interview from a local video conferencing location (laptop, iPad, telepresence suite) to save time and travel costs.
- Corporate culture enrichment – Enhanced employee communication results in increased information sharing and improved productivity. In many cases, work/life balance is improved (e.g., salespeople can make customer calls from home instead of through travel).
- Support and training – Unified communication tools, such as streaming video for training sessions, can be used to reach many more employees – simultaneously.