What’s New with ATA
- Webinar hosted by Institutional Council – Today, from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. EDT – on Internal Awareness and Adoption
- Webinar hosted by the ATA Policy team – Thursday, August 28th from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. EDT – on Trends for Telemedicine Policy and Winning Tactics
- ATA Fall Forum – September 7-9 2014, JW Marriot Desert Springs Resort: Some of the sessions include validated research on products and projects showing effectiveness in the areas of price reduction, quality and access.
- ATA annual meeting is May 3-5, deadline for the call for presentations is September 15th
The American Telemedicine Association paid special attention to U.S. Senators Thad Cochran and Roger Wicker for their effort to improve telemedicine coverage under Medicaid, Medicare and FCC programs.
- On July 24th, the S.2662; The Telehealth Enhancement Act of 2014 was introduced. In short, this bill was created to promote and expand the use of Telehealth under Medicare and other Federal health care programs.
- On July 31st, the H.R. 5380; Medicare Telehealth Parity Act of 2014 was introduced. This bill creates a phased approach over a four year period, to expand coverage of telemedicine services. H.R. 5380 is aimed at removing arbitrary barriers that limit services for Medicare beneficiaries, some of these barriers include geographic restrictions to patient care and the addition of coverage for services located at home and in retail and walk-in clinics.
- New Jersey’s Legislator Shirley Turner introduced bills S 2337 and S 2338, these bills prohibit health insurance plans from requiring in person contact before a telemedicine encounter as a condition of payment.
- Last year Indiana Medicaid enacted Telemedicine Law; recently they have released the new proposed rules to implement the law. The laws propose the agency establish reimbursement terms for home, remote patient monitoring, and allow reimbursement from telemedicine providers such as FQHC’s, CMHC’s, RHC’s and CAHs. Lastly, the law proposes an adjustment of the mile requirements as a condition of payment. The public hearing will be held on August 28th, at 9 a.m.