Polycom Enhances Market-Leading VSX Line, The Most Widely Used Video Conferencing Systems in the World
Polycom continues ongoing development for VSX video conferencing endpoints; first products to receive FIPS 140-2 validation for government requirements.
PLEASANTON, Calif. - Sept. 18, 2007 - Polycom, Inc. [NASDAQ: PLCM], the world's leading provider of unified collaborative communications solutions, today announced enhancements to its market-leading Polycom VSX series of video conferencing endpoints, the most widely deployed video conferencing products in the world with more than 150,000 systems in use today. VSX Release 8.7 software adds new capabilities including simplified use in mixed networks (H.323 and SIP switching), quality of service (QoS) enhancements, support for gatekeeper redundancy for mission critical video applications, enhanced remote management, and additional language support.
"The Polycom VSX series is a critical collaboration tool for thousands of organizations around the globe and across a variety of industries," said Joe Sigrist, senior vice president and general manager, Video Solutions Group, Polycom. "While high definition video and telepresence are emerging and receiving a lot of attention, the reality is customers will migrate to these platforms over time while continuing to operate in mixed video endpoint environments. The VSX products remain the most widely used and are the leading endpoints in their class in terms of quality, features, performance and overall value to customers."
VSX 8.7 supports Polycom's ongoing integration efforts with strategic alliance partners to make video conferencing a seamless part of leading unified collaboration environments. VSX 8.7 features integration support for the Avaya Video Telephony Solution, Polycom Unified Collaboration for IBM Lotus Sametime and Lotus Notes, and Polycom Unified Collaboration for Microsoft LCS 2005.
In addition to providing award-winning quality and performance for its class, the Polycom VSX line also offers secure video for even the most stringent government requirements. In fact, the Polycom VSX series is the only video conferencing line in the market to achieve full FIPS 140-2 validation -- The Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) 140-2 Validation: addressing Security Requirements for Cryptographic Modules. The designation recognizes Polycom's commitment to providing government and enterprise customers with the most advanced security standards compliance.
Additional enhancements of VSX Release 8.7 include:
- Simplified use in mixed networks (SIP + H.323 switching): VSX or V-series endpoints can easily be switched between H.323 and SIP by simply checking a box in the user interface.
- Quality of Service enhancements: Video administrators have greater flexibility when configuring QoS on their video network, with an additional MTU size and expanded sizing for dynamic bandwidth allocation.
- Redundancy for mission critical video conferencing: VSX systems now feature an alternate gatekeeper functionality that allows video administrators to assign an alternate gatekeeper that the system will automatically roll over to in situations where the first gatekeeper is unavailable.
- Remote management (SNMP): SNMP enhancements for remote management using SNMP version 2c.
- Improved video quality for multipoint calls: Improvements in the way VSX and V-series systems handle switches in video from a multi-point bridge (MCU) and the loss of ISDN framing.
- Expanded language support: With the addition of Finnish language support, the VSX systems now support 17 unique languages.
Pricing and Availability
VSX Release 8.7 is now available worldwide at no cost to customers on a standard VSX maintenance agreement.
Polycom, Inc. is the worldwide leader in unified collaborative communications (UCC) that maximize the efficiency and productivity of people and organizations by integrating the broadest array of high-definition video, wired and wireless voice, and content solutions to deliver the ultimate collaborative experience. Polycom's high quality, standards-based conferencing and collaboration solutions are easy to deploy and manage, as well as intuitive to use. Supported by an open architecture, they integrate seamlessly with leading telephony, workplace wireless telephony, and presence-based networks. With its market-driving technologies, best-in-class products, alliance partnerships, and world-class service, Polycom is the smart choice for organizations seeking proven solutions and a competitive advantage from on-demand communications and collaboration. For additional information, call 800-POLYCOM or visit the Polycom Web site at www.polycom.com.
Polycom, and the Polycom logo are registered trademarks and HDX, UltimateHD, RSS 2000, RMX 2000, and Video Media Center are trademarks of Polycom in the U.S. and various countries. ©2007, Polycom, Inc. All rights reserved.